Hazardous material releases occurring on or off campus may impact Auburn University.
Quick References: If You See a Hazardous Material Release; If You Are Notified of a Hazardous Material Release; If Someone is Exposed; Contacts
- Never attempt to contain or clean up a hazardous material release unless you are trained to do so.
- Alert those in the vicinity and evacuate the area.
- Close all doors as you leave the area.
- DIAL 911 to report the release when you reach a safe location.
- Provide as much information as possible to the dispatcher, including identity and amount of the chemical released, specific location, hazards and any known injuries.
- Warn others not to enter the area.
- DO NOT re-enter the building until told it is safe to do so by AU ALERT, emergency personnel, or university administrators.
- Follow instructions provided by the AU ALERT System and emergency responders.
- Avoid the area of the release until given an "all clear" message.
- Isolate anyone exposed to the material.
- Stay with them until emergency personnel arrive.
- Do not come into contact with material on their clothing or body.
- Instruct them to remove contaminated clothing immediately and direct them to the nearest safety shower/eye wash station. Affected areas should be rinsed for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Provide first aid if necessary and you are trained to do so.
|AU Campus Safety & Security||Phone: 334-844-8888
On-Call Phone (24/7): 334-750-9795
|AU Risk Management &
Safety - Hazmat
|Auburn Fire Division||Phone: 334-501-3100, opt 1|
|Auburn Police Division
Crime Stoppers Tip Line
(Call or Text)