- Exit the area immediately.
- Close all doors as you leave.
- Take keys and medications with you if possible. DO NOT DELAY evacuation.
- Activate the closest fire alarm pull station along your evacuation route.
- Notify others around you as you leave.
- If able, assist persons with disabilities during evacuation or dial 911 to request assistance.
- DO NOT use the elevator.
- DIAL 911 and report the emergency after you are safely out of the building.
- DO NOT open any door that feels hot.
- Use the back of your hand to check the door.
- If smoke is present, stay low to the floor.
- You may attempt to extinguish it with a portable fire extinguisher ONLY IF:
- You are properly trained;
- 911 has been dialed;
- The fire alarm pull station has been activated; AND
- The fire is trash can sized or smaller.
- Close any doors between you and the fire.
- If available, wedge wet towels or cloth materials along the bottom of the door to keep out smoke.
- DIAL 911 and notify the dispatcher of your location.
- Remain on the phone with the 911 dispatcher as long as possible.
- Cautiously break a window only as a last resort.
- Only return to the building when notified by AU ALERT, emergency responders, or university administrators.
|AU Campus Safety & Security||Phone: 334-844-8888
On-Call Phone (24/7): 334-750-9795
|Auburn Fire Division||Phone: 334-501-3100, opt 1|
|AU Risk Management &
Safety - Fire Safety