Linda Marie Gibson-Young
Dr. Linda Gibson-Young has an exciting academic background in population health with a focus on pediatrics. Her work actively engages undergraduate and graduate students in outreach and research. Dr. Gibson-Young has a Ph.D. in nursing, an MBA, and is certified as a family nurse practitioner (ANCC). In 2021, she received the Distinguished Fellow of the National Academies of Practice in Nursing. In 2016, she became a Fellow in the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (FAANP) and a Leadership for Academic Nursing Program (LANP) Fellow with the American Association of Colleges in Nursing (AACN). In 2015, she received the Outstanding Research Award from The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF). Collaborative and interdisciplinary teams partner with Dr. Gibson-Young's outreach and research across Alabama.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org (334) 844 - 5601
Floor: 2 Door: 2241
- Master Business Administration - Auburn University - 2021
- Doctor of Philosophy - University of Alabama at Birmingham - 2011
- Master of Science in Nursing - University of Alabama at Birmingham - 2003
- Family Nurse Practitioner-Board Certified
- Certified Asthma Educator
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Registered Nurse
- Rural health disparities, child asthma, school-based health education interventions, population health outcomes, and health behaviors in children and adolescents
- Child and Adolescent Health
- Health Care Promotion among Underserved Populations
- Clinical Prevention and Population Health
- Mental Health
- Professional Development
- Camp Nursing
- Quality and Outcomes Improvement
- Health Promotion
- Community/Public Health Nursing
- Evidence Based Practice
- Nurse Practitioner
- Health Promotion
- Graduate Nursing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Nurse Educator
- Population Health
- Kintner, E., Haase, J. & Gibson-Young, L.M. (2021) Triangulation approach to developing, evaluating, and applying the evolving theory of adolescent acceptance of asthma. Nursing Forum DOI: 10.1111/nuf.1
- Lee, Y., Salahuddin, M., Gibson-Young, L.M. & Oliver, G. (2021) Assessing personal protective equipment needs for healthcare workers Health Science Reports DOI: 10.1002/hsr2.
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Martinasek, M., Tamulevicius, N., Fortner, M. & Alanazi, A. (2020) Examining electronic nicotine delivery system use and perception of use among college students with and without asthma across the South Journal of American College Health DOI: 10.1080/07448
- Gibson-Young, L.M. & Martinasek, M.P. (2018) JUULING: What kids don’t know will hurt them Contemporary Pediatrics DOI: 87500507
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Martinasek, M.P., White, R.M. & Wheldon, C.W. (2018) Perceptions of non-traditional tobacco products between asthmatic and non-asthmatic college students. Journal of Asthma DOI: 15324303
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Campbell, M. & Wallace, M. (2017) Participatory learning: Asthma camp as a learning space for patients and healthcare providers Child Life DOI:
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Fedele, D.A., Dekevich, D., Martinasek, M.P., Jagger, M. & Barnett, T. (2016) Cigarette smoking, water pipe tobacco smoking, and e-cigarette use patterns among high school students diagnosed with asthma Annals of Epidemilogy DOI: 10472797
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Gasana, J., Ibrahimou, B., Weiss-Randall, D., Arrieta, A., Siven, J., Torok, D. & Beck-Sague, C. (2015) Asthma in schoolchildren in Monroe County, Florida: School-based needs assessment. Journal of Asthma DOI: 15324303
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Martinasek, M.P., Davis, J. & McDermott, R. (2015) Waterpipe tobacco smoking impact on public health: implications for policy Risk Management and Healthcare Policy DOI: 11791594
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Gerald, L.M., Vance, D.S. & Turner-Henson, A. (2014) The Relationships Among Family Management Behaviors and Asthma Morbidity in Maternal Caregivers of Children With Asthma Journal of Family Nursing DOI: 10748407
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Martinasek, M.P., Clutter, M.O. & Forrest, J. (2014) Are students with asthma at increased risk for being a victim of bullying in school or cyber space? Findings from the 2011 Florida youth risk behavior survey Journal of School Health DOI: 00224391
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Martinasek, M.P. & Forrest, J. (2014) Hookah smoking and harm perception among asthmatic adolescents: Findings from the Florida Youth Tobacco Survey Journal of School Health DOI: 00224391
- Gibson-Young, L.M. (2021, July). Examining Social Determinants of Health Outcomes in Children with Asthma Living in Rural Communities Podium session presented at Sigma Theta Tau International’s International Research Congress. , , Singapore.
- Gibson-Young, L.M., Lee, Y., Salahuddin, M. & Oliver, G. (2021, June). Needs assessment of current personal protective equipment for healthcare workers Podium session presented at American Association of Nurse Practitioners, , Virtual.
- Gibson-Young, L.M. (2021, June). Demonstrating the impact of a school-based health education program geared towards health disparities in the rural community Podium session presented at National Academies of Practice Annual Meeting & Forum, , Virtual.
- Gibson-Young, L.M. & Strickland, K. (2021, June). Investigating a collaborative school-based health education program in rural school systems Podium session presented at Association of Community Health Nursing Educators, , Virtual.