Amy Michelle Curtis
Assistant Clinical Professor
Dr. Amy Curtis has over 17 years of combined experience in nursing and nursing education. She earned her BSN from Auburn University in 2003 and spent much of her nursing career working in orthopedics. She earned her MSN in 2011 from Auburn University and Auburn University Montgomery's Joint MSN Program. She also earned her College and University Teaching Graduate Certificate from Auburn University in 2011. Dr. Curtis earned her PhD in Adult Education from Auburn University in 2016. She is an Assistant Clinical Professor at Auburn University School of Nursing where she coordinates the Fundamentals of Nursing and Health Assessment courses for junior level nursing students. She also teaches in both the MSN and RN to BSN Graduate Programs at Auburn University. She is a Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) with over 9 years of simulation experience. Her research interests include best practice in simulation-based education, best practice in nursing education, holistic admission practices, health disparities and breast cancer education. She is a member the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL), Simulation Society for Healthcare (SSH), Sigma, American Nurses Association (ANA), Alabama State Nurses Association (ASNA) District 5 where she currently serves as district Treasurer, American Cancer Society Action Network, and Auburn University Research Initiative for Cancer (AURIC)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org (334) 844 - 7988
Floor: 2 Door: 2253
- Doctor of Education - Auburn University - 2016
- Master of Science in Nursing - Auburn University - 2011
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Auburn University - 2003
- Registered Nurse
- Best practice in simulation-based education, best practice in nursing education, holistic admission practices, health disparities, and breast cancer education.
- Curriculum Development and Evaluation
- Peer Mentoring
- Student Success
- Health Care Promotion among Underserved Populations
- Adult Health
- Nursing Education
- Simulation in Nursing Education
- Perioperative Nursing
- Clinical Simulation
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Nurse Educator
- Clinical Skills
- Advanced Physical Assessment
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Undergraduate Nursing
- Graduate Nursing
- Physical Assessment
- Adult Health Nursing
- Clinical Simulation
- High-Impact Innovation Grant $6,400.00 Meghan Jones, Amy Curtis, David Crumbley & Tiffani Chidume
- Biggio Teaching Mini Grant A Mixed Methods Study to Examine the Impact of Structured, Reflective Prebriefing Activities on Students’ Performance of Skills $1,000.00 Sarah Watts, Amy Curtis, Katilya Ware, Tiffani Chidume & Meghan Jones
- Intramural Grants Program Auburn University Bedside Manner Experience Development (BedMed) $26,153.00 J Thomas & Amy Curtis
- Daniel F. Breeden Endowed Grant Improving Teaching Effectiveness on Patient Safety Using Simulation: Focus on hand hygiene $4,000.00 Amy Curtis & Teresa Gore
- Curtis, A.M., Hunt, C.W. & Sanderson, B.K. (2013) A program to provide resources and support for clinical associates The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing DOI: 19382472
- Hunt, C.W., Curtis, A.M. & Gore, T. (1) Using simulation to promote professional development of clinical instructors Journal of Nursing Education DOI:
- Brown, L.G., Curtis, A.M. & Harris , L. (1) Improving dose calculation pass rates with peer tutoring Journal of Nursing Education DOI:
- Curtis, A.M. (2020, August). The Virtual World of Nursing Fundamentals-A trial run Poster session presented at Nuts and Bolts for Nurse Educators (Virtual), Minneapolis , MN.
- Curtis, A.M. & Renfroe , K.C. (2020, February). Strategies to Improve Perceptions of First Semester Nursing Students Prior to Simulation Poster session presented at Next Gen Learning Fundamentals, NCLEX and Beyond (Nurse Tim), Orlando, FL.
- Harris, L., Fox, M., Henderson, K.W., Curtis, A.M. & Brown , L.G. (2019, October). Promoting Nursing Student Success through a Faculty and Student-led Orientation Program Poster session presented at National Symposium on Student Retention , New Orleans, LA.
- Curtis, A.M., Fox, M., Renfroe, K.C. & Jones, M.C. (2019, May). Safety First: A learning strategy for early exposure to QSEN competencies Poster session presented at QSEN , Cleveland, OH.
- Curtis, A.M. & Noll, K.M. (2019, January). The Missing Link: From bedside to academia Poster session presented at Celebration in Conversations in Teaching, Auburn, AL.
- Curtis, A.M. & Renfroe, K.C. (2018, April). Using Deliberate Practice In An Open Lab Setting to Enhance Skills and Physical Assessment With A Focus on At Risk Students Poster session presented at ASNA , Montgomery, AL.
- Brown, L.G., Curtis, A.M. & Harris , L.C. (2018, March). Utilizing Peer Tutoring for Dose Calculation Success Poster session presented at Alabama League for Nursing , Tuscaloosa, AL.
- Fox, M., Jones , M., Curtis, A.M., Strickland, K.P. & Henderson, K.W. (2017, September). Experiences in Curriculum Design and Implementation of Healthcare Professions Camp Podium session presented at Engagement Scholarship Consortium, Birmingham, AL.
- Curtis, A.M. (2017, May). Breast Cancer Screening Behaviors in Women and the Potential Relationships Among Fatalism and the Health Belief Model. Podium session presented at UAB 12th Annual Health Disparities Research Symposium, Birmingham, AL.
- Noll, K.M. & Curtis, A.M. (2017, April). Hidden Disabilities Poster session presented at FACES "17 ASNA Conference , Montgomery, AL.
- Curtis, A.M. (2017, January). Breast Cancer Dissertation Findings Podium session presented at Sigma Theta Tau Theta Delta Chapter , Auburn, AL.
- Curtis, A.M. (2016, September). Health Belief Model and Fatalism related to Breast Cancer Screening in Working Women Poster session presented at Sigma Theta Tau International Region 8 Conference , Jackson, MS, .
- Hunt, C.W., Gore, T. & Curtis, A.M. (2015, September). Preparing Clinical Instructors through Simulation Podium session presented at National League for Nursing Annual Conference , Las Vegas , .
- Curtis, A.M. (2014, April). Improving Teaching Effectiveness on Patient Safety Using Simulation: Focus on Hand Hygiene Podium session presented at Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
- Curtis, A.M. (2013, September). Simulation: A Great Teaching Strategy for Active Learning of Didactic Material Poster session presented at Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
- Curtis, A.M. (2013, April). Increasing Breast Cancer Awareness in African American Women: One Step Closer to the Cure Poster session presented at Eastmont Baptist Church, Montgomery, AL.