Auburn University - TITLE IX

I Want to Talk to Someone

If you choose to speak to someone, there are two types of resources available: confidential and non-confidential.

  • Confidential resources, such as the counselors at Student Counseling and Psychological Services or the advocates at Safe Harbor, will not report the incident to the police or the Title IX office. There are legal protections for the discussions you have with confidential resources.

  • Non-confidential resources, such as professors, academic advisors, resident assistants, coaches, supervisors and all other Auburn University employees not designated as confidential resources, are legally obligated to report incidents of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator. The University refers to these individuals as “Mandatory Employees.”

    • Note: At Auburn University, some non-confidential resources are referred to as Campus Security Authorities, or CSAs. They are officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities. Campus Security Authorities – no matter their role on campus – are under an obligation to relay reports of certain crimes to Auburn University’s Department of Public Safety and Security. CSAs do not share any personally identifiable information with the department without the authorization of the victim and share only the location of the offense and the specifics of the offense.

      Department staff will evaluate whether there is an ongoing threat to the campus community, and assess the report for inclusion on the daily crime log and in annual crime statistics. If it is determined that there is an ongoing threat to the campus community, a timely warning message will be sent to advise the community of the crime and steps that they can take to protect themselves from similar crimes. Your confidentiality will be protected to the extent possible.


For more information on the reporting process, see I Want to Report an Incident.


State and National Resources



Information for Family and Friends

If you are a family member, friend or supporter of someone impacted by sexual misconduct, please visit I Want to Support Someone and Resources for Family and Friends for additional information.

If you know someone who has been accused of sexual misconduct and are wondering how best to support that person, these suggestions may be helpful.

Have You Been Accused of Sexual Misconduct?

If you have been accused of sexual misconduct and are unsure what to do, contact the Title IX Coordinator at 317 James E. Foy Hall, 334-844-4794 or

Do not contact the alleged victim.

The Title IX Coordinator can explain the university reporting procedures and university disciplinary process. For further information on the university disciplinary process, visit the FAQs about the University Disciplinary Process.

You can receive counseling assistance on campus at Student Counseling and Psychological Services (334-844-5123).

Sexual misconduct can be both a criminal offense as well as a violation of Auburn University policy. A student or employee alleged to have engaged in sexual misconduct may be subject to prosecution under Alabama criminal statutes and/or subject to discipline under the university discipline procedures. Criminal proceedings and university proceedings are separate and have independent outcomes. An individual found in violation of university policy may be subject to dismissal from the Auburn University. An individual found guilty of a crime may be subject to criminal sanctions.

Last Updated: April 8, 2021