Auburn University - TITLE IX

I Want to Report an Incident

It is your right – your choice – to report the incident to the police or not. Reports made to the university and reports made to the police are separate and parallel. Utilizing campus resources, such as Safe Harbor or Student Counseling and Psychological Services, does not automatically require a report of the incident be made to the police. The Title IX Coordinator will not notify police, unless directed by the victim or if the victim is a minor (as required by Alabama law), but may conduct an investigation that could lead to university action.

Although you can report sexual misconduct at any time, we encourage you to report incidents to local law enforcement immediately. Calling 911 is always the fastest way no matter where the event occurred. Otherwise contact the appropriate agency:

  • In the City of Auburn (including Auburn University), Auburn Police Division at 334-501-3100

  • In the City of Opelika, Opelika Police Department at 334-705-5220

  • In the unincorporated areas of Lee County, Alabama, Lee County Sheriff’s Office at 334-794-5651

Police have unique legal authority, including the power to seek and execute search warrants, collect forensic evidence, make arrests and assist in seeking emergency protective orders. Although a police report may be made at any time, victims/complainants should be aware that a statute of limitations may apply to certain crimes in Alabama, which could be as low as one year. Auburn University will assist you in notifying law enforcement if requested.

If you are unsure of what to do next, you may find the I Don’t Know What to Do page helpful.

If you choose to report the incident to the police, you can have an advocate or staff member from the university make the arrangements or even accompany you. Additionally, if you wish, the university can implement appropriate supportive measures to provide for your safety, as well as the campus community, and to avoid retaliation. Examples of such measures include issuing a no contact directive and/or making temporary accommodations with regard to housing, course schedules, work schedules, transportation and other related matters.

Last Updated: April 8, 2021