IRB1 and IRB2 - Protocol Assignment
The Auburn University Human Research Protection Program includes two IRBs. IRB1 reviews all health science related protocols in addition to other protocols from health science related disciplines. IRB2 reviews primarily social and behavioral protocols from any college, school, or department not otherwise assigned to IRB1. Assignment of protocols to an IRB for review is conducted by the IRB Chairs or their designee. Please see the Protocol Assignment Table for more information.
Each IRB meets once a month to review protocols. IRB2 meets on the second Wednesday of each month and IRB1 meets on the third Wednesday of each month. The deadline for submission to both IRBs is the last Wednesday of the month preceding the meeting for which the protocol is submitted for review. The IRB makes every effort to maintain scheduled meeting dates. However, due to member availability, university holidays, or other unusual circumstances, meeting dates are subject to change on occasion. Meetings are rescheduled as close to the original date as possible. In addition to meetings involving protocol review, the IRBs conduct joint meetings at least annually to discuss programmatic topics.
2015 IRB Meeting Schedule
All protocol forms for submissions to the IRB can be found on the Forms Section of our website. All forms were revised as of February 2, 2014. Always check the Forms page on this website to ensure you are using the latest version. Prior versions will not be accepted.
Protocol Process Overview
1. The Principal Investigator (PI) submits a completed, original submission form including all signatures to the Office of Research Compliance (ORC), IRB Administration, 115 Ramsay Hall Basement or IRBsubmit@auburn.edu. Email submissions are strongly encouraged.
2. Complete submissions will begin the review process. Submissions requiring Full Board review will be placed on an IRB Meeting Agenda with respect to deadlines for meeting agendas. Submissions for Expedited Review and requests for Exempt Status Determinations may be submitted anytime and will be processed on a continuous basis.
3. Reviewer(s) are assigned by an IRB Chair or designee and submissions are reviewed by the reviewer(s).
4. The ORC will provide written communication to the PI regarding the committee’s or reviewer’s action on the submission.
5. The PI responds to all comments and requirements from the reviewer until the submission is approved. Any items not resolved between the PI and the reviewer(s) or IRB Chair will be referred to the full IRB for review, determination, and final resolution.
Exempt Determinations – Projects may be approved for up to 3 years. Continuation of the project beyond the approval period requires submission of a request for renewal and approval of the request by the IRB prior to the expiration of the initial approval. Any changes that may affect the determination of exempt status or exempt category must be submitted in the form of a modification request to the IRB for review and approval prior to implementation of the change(s).
Full Board and Expedited Protocols – Per federal regulation, protocols may not be approved for more than one year. Continuation of the project beyond the IRB approval period requires submission of a request for renewal and approval of the request by the IRB prior to the expiration of the initial approval. Any changes to the project must be submitted in the form of a modification request to the IRB for review and approval prior to implementation of the change(s). A Final Report will be required to close all Full Board and Expedited Protocols.
For more detailed information on Exempt, Expedited, and Full Board processes, please refer to the IRB Procedures Section of our Website. All submission forms are provided on the Forms Section of our Website.