Risk Management and Safety administers three self-insured funds including General Liability, Auto Physical Damage and On-the-Job Injury. The retention for each program is $1,000,000.  In addition to administering the various self -insured type programs, Risk Management and Safety negotiates an estimated 71 insurance policies through the commercial marketplace each year. If you have any special insurance needs, please contact us and we will be happy to assist in finding a solution.

Building and Contents Property Insurance is mandated to be purchased through the State of Alabama insurance fund. This coverage includes buildings and contents within the buildings  (or within 100 feet) for certain causes of loss with a deductible of $5,000 per occurrence per scheduled item.  Major equipment valued over $50,000 should be reported to Risk Management and Safety at aurmi@auburn.eduThis policy does not cover theft or attempted theft but does cover burglary damage to or from the building where there is forced entry evidence on the exterior of the building at the point of entry, Continuous or repeated seepage or leakage of water, earthquake, flood, surface Water, waves, tidal water, overflow of streams or other bodies of water wind driven or not; Water backed up through sewers or drains or water below the surface of the ground which exerts pressure on or flows/seeps/leaks through sidewalks, windows, walls, basements, doors, windows etc.  The interior of the building is not covered for loss by rain/snow/sleet/sand/dust unless the building shall first sustain actual damage to the roof or walls by direct action of wind or hail. This is not an exhaustive list, but just a sample of what is not covered by this policy.

Inland Marine Property Insurance is also offered as expanded coverage for high valued movable property and property in transit for additional premium cost which is typically very affordable.  The benefit of this policy is broader coverage and a lower deductible of $1,000 per occurrence. We recommend purchasing this coverage for an high valued property items which hold special value to the university because it covers contents for most causes of loss with only a few standard exceptions such as wear & tear, war, nuclear hazard, and theft by employees. Types of property which might be insured more appropriately under this policy include: Bobcats, Trackhoes, Backhoes, Trenchers, Highlifts, Forklifts, Special computer equipment and electronic equipment, Portable tools, Professional equipment and tools if taken off your premises, High-valued scientific and research equipment.

Add or Purchase Insurance Coverage: Email forms to AURMI@Auburn.edu

Certificates - Provide Proof of University Insurance

Certificates - Request Proof of Insurance

With limited exception, Vendors required providing work, goods, or using University facilities must first provide a Certificates of Insurance to the department initiating the agreement and kept on file for two years. "High risk" vendor certificates should be sent to Risk Management for review at AURMI@auburn.edu along with a description of the activity and applicable contact information.

The Auburn University Certificate of Insurance Checklist and the Insurance Limits Expanded Requirements Guide can assist you reviewing all coverage requirements.

Examples of when certificates of insurance are required:

  • Exhibitors
  • Contractors
  • Promotional Vendors
  • Business vendors including those performing a service
  • Third parties using or renting campus facilities
  • Non-profits hosting events on campus
  • Anyone hosting a large-scale event on campus
  • Caterers or other food vendors.  For Caterers, please see the Registration and Licensing Procedures for Caterers/Bartending Services.

Further details on vendor insurance requirements certificate of insurance compliance can be found on the Vendor Compliance Page.


Sample Certificate of Insurance & Endorsements: