Minors on Campus
Auburn University is committed to ensuring a safe and supportive environment exists for all staff, students and visitors to the campus and strives to conduct its operations and maintain its facilities in a manner consistent with its mission as a land grant institution with a tradition of service and access. Activities involving minors are integral to our mission of creating and disseminating knowledge for the betterment of society.
The university recognizes that numerous circumstances exist in which non-enrolled minor children (individuals under the age of 19) either visit campus facilities or otherwise have contact with university representatives, including faculty, staff, volunteers and students. The university offers many coordinated opportunities for minor children to visit campus through scheduled campus events, academic and non-academic programs, or as guests of students and employees. With this understanding, Auburn University recognizes both its institutional and legal obligations to ensure the safety and wellbeing of minor children that are on campus, in university facilities, participating in university-sponsored events, or involved with university-affiliated individuals.
In April 2012, Provost Timothy R. Boosinger appointed 33 members to the Ad Hoc Committee to Review and Establish University Policies Regarding Minors on Campus. The Members represented all segments of the University offering programs involving minors, and those concerned with safety and risk within the University. The Committee charge given by Provost Boosinger was to review and draft formal Auburn University policies related to the safeguard of minors on campus.
Please note that full policy compliance is required beginning Fall Semester 2013. Units that are sponsoring programs or activities involving minors may follow normal procedures for summer programs.
Units that are sponsoring programs or activities involving minors should register with the Event Management Protocol website. For more information on registration please refer to the Policy on Minors.
- Step 4: Upload additional information including:
- Flyers, brochures or other information on the event.
- Registration forms, waivers, medical forms, etc. being used by the program.
- You may be asked to provide additional information on third parties hosting events on campus, contracts and insurance.
If you have questions regarding registering your event please contact the Event Management Committee at 334-844-9999 or by email AUEvent@auburn.edu.
Each program staff member, who will be participating in a program covered by the Policy on Minors is required to complete the online training course offered by United Educators entitled "Sexual Misconduct: How Teachers and Other Educators Can Protect Our Children." The course takes approximately one hour to complete.
- Background checks will need to be complete for program staff including any faculty, staff, volunteers, graduate and undergraduate students, interns, employees of temporary employment agencies, and independent contractors/consultants who interact with, supervise, chaperone, or otherwise oversee minors in program activities.
- Background checks are not required for temporary guest speakers, presenters and other individuals who have no direct contact with program participants other than short term activities supervised by program staff. Please contact Risk Management & Safety if you have questions regarding who should have background checks.
- Please register your event with the Event Planning and Protocol website and upload the forms below to start the background check process. Once these forms are uploaded, the department or program leader will be contacted by Human Resources to start the background check process. All forms must be completed in their entirity.
- Please note that the spreadsheet and setup form must be completed and uploaded at least 2 weeks prior to the start date of your event. Your event may be denied if adequate time is not given to complete all background checks.
The forms below are intended to be used for programs and activities involving minors on the Auburn University campus. Not all forms may be needed depending on the nature of the event. Depending on the nature and scope of your program or activity additional or updated forms may be required. If you have questions regarding the forms please contact Chris O'Gwynn in Risk Management & Safety at 334-844-4533.
Frequently Asked Questions
Requests for Additional Information
For additional information or training specific to your unit please contact:
|University Risk Manager
||Risk Management Specialist
|Risk Management & Safety
||Risk Management & Safety
|316 Leach Science Center
||316 Leach Science Center
|Auburn University, AL 36849
||Auburn University, AL 36849