Group Fitness Class Descriptions
Classes blend muscular strength, endurance, flexibility, and relaxation.
- All Core is a traditional abdominal exercise class with the added focus on the Pilates Method.
- Meditation - This is a mind/body practice that can be translated to every day experiences to help you relax outside of the class. It is meant to train your mind to help you cope with negative experiences, such as anxiety and physical discomfort, and also has a myriad of clinically tested physical healing benefits. No previous experience necessary, only comfortable clothing and an open mind.
- Pilates is a series of traditional Pilates mat exercises. The focus is on core strength and stability. Modifications are offered for all skill levels.
- Power Yoga - involves a flowing, intense style, which is different from the gentle meditative stretching usually associated with traditional yoga. Power yoga is ideal for those who seek a faster pace and more intense strengthening component. This style is intended to challenge the more experienced yoga student.
- Pre/Post Natal Yoga - Pre/Post Natal yoga is open to beginning, intermediate, and advanced students. The class offers a carefully selected series of postures and breathing techniques to restore balance and vitality while deepening your awareness of pregnancy. Concentration and relaxation techniques assist in preparing for and providing relief during labor and birth and postnatal healing. *Physician clearance is required to attend this course.
- Restorative Yoga - These classes are 75 minutes, very relaxing and a good complement to more active practices. The intention is to be fully supported in the pose using a variety of props. After you are set up in a pose with all your props, you will hold the pose for an extended period, often up to ten to twenty minutes. Although you are supported, you will definitely still feel the stretch. It's a relaxing style of practice that leaves you feeling open and refreshed.
- Yin Yoga - suitable for almost all levels of students; Yin Yoga is a perfect complement to the dynamic and muscular styles of yoga that emphasize internal heat, and the lengthening and contracting of our muscles. While initially this style of yoga can seem quite boring, passive, or soft, yin practice can be quite challenging due to the amount of time in one posture
- Yoga is designed to focus on breathing techniques, postures "asanas" and relaxation. The class blends postures, increases the strength, balance, and amount of time for each posture as the class progresses.
- Yogalates blends the standing yoga poses with the Pilates mat exercises. Yoga + Pilates a great way to maximize your time.
- Yoga Stretch - This is a 55 minute class with a focus on flexibility. Perfect for the seasoned yoga student, avid exerciser, or athlete.
- Cycle 45 (45min) - This class is designed for all fitness levels. It involves various cycling drills, including hill-climbing, sprints, and races that offer an exhilarating cardiovascular workout.
- Cycle This is a 60 minute class designed for intermediate to advanced fitness levels and those who want to be challenged. It involves higher intensity and longer duration drills.
- Glide-N- Ride - This is a full body strength building and endurance workout for all fitness levels. It combines 30 minutes of upper body training on the gravity training system and 30 minutes of climbing intervals on the cycle.
- Gravity Groove - Looking for a workout that will target all major muscle groups and challenge you with exercise progressions? The GTS is used for both upper and lower body rhythmically while performing continuous repetitions to music. The goal of this format is to continuously move using the pulley and the platforms to enhance the exercise.
- Gravity Interval - This is a mode of interval training where the body weight (or a fraction thereof) is used to provide the resistance in a great variety of exercises. The equipment used is a Total Gym on steroids. Just by changing the incline of the platform will dramatically change the intensity of the exercises. This workout is for everyone. The new exerciser and the athlete can make gains on this total conditioning system.
- Gravity Pilates - Powerful, precise, integrated movement on the Gravity Training System. This 60 minute class incorporates flowing Pilates technique that will maximize muscle tone and body awareness.
- Intro to KettleBell – introduces participants to the Basics of Kettle Bells. Learn proper form and technique for the Kettle Bell Swing, Clean and Press, Snatch, Half Get Up and more. Don’t worry, you WILL sweat while learning the basics and get a total body workout. This class is a recommended precursor to Advanced Kettle Bells.
- TRX 30 – This is a 30 minute class that utilized the TRX Suspension Trainer. The TRX is the workout system that leverages gravity and your bodyweight to perform hundreds of exercises. You're in control of how much you want to challenge yourself on each exercise! It’s a great way to tone, build muscle and break a sweat! This class is great for all fitness levels.
- TRX Body Blast - focuses on moving through a total body workout to the rhythm of the latest radio hits. Movements integrate strength, balance and endurance into a single dynamic format that maximizes the benefit of body weight exercises for faster results. It’s All Core, All the Time! Get your groove on and join us for a revolutionary way to train!
- TRX Circuit - A format of suspension training is boot camp style! Each individual chooses a pace and difficulty level at the upper edge of his/her ability. This class is driven by the clock and the verbal cueing of the instructor.
- TRX Pilates – is a blend of traditional Pilates exercises with the TRX suspension straps. Move from the mat to the strap and add an element of instability to enhance your core activation
- TRX Rip/Fusion - combines TRX Suspension Training with the TRX Rip Trainer. All Core all the time in every plane of motion! Join us for the best of both TRX worlds!
- Rip Trainer 30 - Created by TRX, the Rip Trainer is an innovative piece of equipment that provides an ideal mix of rotation, core stability, control, power, balance, and coordination into a 30 minute workout. Classes can be either synchronized, music-driven POWER classes or time-driven, powerful PERFORMANCE classes.
- Barre Basics - is designed to effectively strengthen, tone, and balance the entire body. The focus is form and precision while performing small isometric movements with light weights and various props. Each class includes motivating music with several highly effective sequences of toning and resistance exercises with an emphasis on the core, arms, seat and thighs.
- Core Barre™ – These classes are designed to create strength, flexibility, and a balanced body for the entire body. This class utilizes Pilates, ballet and athletic conditioning and consists of high energy, low impact and fat burning exercises to motivating music. This is a licensed trademark program taught by certified Core Barre instructors.
- Core 30 - is all about abs. We will work your abdominal muscles in every way possible. This express class focuses on the core area in just 30 minutes.
- Core Stability 30 – focuses on total core activation. The emphasis is on the abs and back using the stability balls to maximize range of motion in a supportive environment.
- Dance Jam - is a high-energy dance mix that changes traditional hi-low impact moves to the latest hip-hop, Latin, House/Techno dance steps.
- Dancin' Tone - is high intensity dance intervals with strength movements disguised as dance.
- Dance Xpress - Stretch, strengthen, and sculpt major muscles in the body while getting a cardio workout. This is a fun fusion of dance styles to motivating music and puts the emphasis as much on having fun as on breaking a sweat in just 30 minutes!
- H.I.I.T 30 - Take the H.I.I.T. Challenge! High Intensity Interval Training: In just 30 minutes, get a full body workout that will challenge your cardio as well as your muscular endurance. Minimal equipment used, so you can make this as hard or as easy as you want with just your body weight. Bring your water and HIIT it!
- Insanity 30 - is a 30 minute class that utilizes Max Interval Training, which keeps your body working at maximum capacity through your entire workout. You keep pushing your limits – so your body has to adapt. Instead of the DVD - it's the real live class!
- Stability Ball 30 - This 30 minute sculpting class uses the stability ball for an intense calorie and core-strenghtening workout. Trim your waistline and have a ball doing it!
- Tabata 30 – This training improves performance in both the aerobic and anaerobic systems through a wide range of exercises. The class includes a brief warm-up, 30 minutes of high intensity interval training, and concludes with a cool down.
- U-Jam Fitness™ - is an addictive cardio workout that fuses the hottest world beats with unique and fun choreography that will make you move, sweat and smile. Also offered in a 30 minute format in U-Jam 30
- Zumba - is a pre-choreographed class that mixes dance and athletic movement to a wide assortment of world rhythms.
- Zumba Toning - mixes dance moves with strength movements using 2.5 pound weights. You enjoy the Zumba rhythms with added muscle toning.
- Barefoot Butts & Guts – is a powerful combination of yoga and strengthening exercises for the legs and abdominals. Wear your five finger shoes or come to kick your shoes off. Flow through a variety of movements shaping the legs and sculpting the core.
- Bootcamp – mixes interval and strength training with cardio, body weight exercises, and utilizes equipment including dumbbells, bands, jump rope and more. Classes consist of Parkour skills, Tabata drills, calisthenics, and more.
- Bosu Burn - integrated muscle training is used to work every muscle in the body on the BOSU to whittle the middle and build strong lean muscle. Cardio, strength and abdominal training for all fitness levels.
- Butts & Guts - combines the lower body strengthening exercises with a series of abdominal and back exercises.
- Butts & Guts 45 - combines the lower body strengthening exercises with a series of abdominal and back exercises in 45 minutes.
- Kickboxing - combines both martial arts and boxing techniques in a fast-paced, high-energy aerobic format. Speed, agility, coordination, power and strength improve with each session.
- Tiger Pump - is a choreographed strength training class that will challenge all of the major muscle groups. Tiger Pump utilizes a barbell, step, and plates to strengthen and tone the entire body. High repetition and high energy makes Tiger Pump both an effective and enjoyable class.
- ViPR Tone & Condition - These classes are designed for all fitness levels. The ViPR allows you to achieve a full body workout and gain serious strength, improved fitness level and burn loads of calories.
Kettle Bell Intro – This class introduces participants to the Basics of Kettle Bells. Learn proper form and technique for the Kettle Bell Swing, Clean and Press, Snatch, Half Get Up and more. Don’t worry, you WILL sweat while learning the basics and get a total body workout. This class is a recommended precursor to Advanced Kettle Bells.
Specialty Fee Courses
AU Health Challenge - AU Health Challenge is a class designed for those registered and participating in the AU Healthy Weigh Challenge. The class will utilize a variety of different formats including Tabata, BOSU, Butts & Guts, and dance.
Last Updated: 3/9/2014