Scheduling Extended Time on Exams
You are encouraged to discuss exam accommodations with instructors. Collaboration between students and instructors most often leads to creative, optimal accommodation solutions. It is always best if you can take your tests/exams with the professor or GTA so you can have the same access to them as the other students in the class during the exam. For example, your instructor may be able to provide an environment for extra time for exams and may even suggest that your exam be proctored by a GTA assigned to his/her courses.
Sometimes, however, extended time or other exam accommodations cannot be provided by an instructor. Additionally, you may need to use a reader, writer, computer (word processor), or other equipment to enable you to optimally perform on testing. More extensive accommodations such as these will necessitate a proctored exam environment.
How to schedule a proctored exam through the Office of Accessibility:
- Meet with your instructor to discuss your accommodations
- Log into AU Access
- Locate Academic Accommodations & Accessibility (right side of screen)
- Click "Submit Proctored Exam Request to Your Instructor"
- Complete and submit the Exam Scheduling Request Form
Note: It is your responsibility to request all exams and/or finals you would like to have proctored by the Office of Accessibility.
After you complete the online request:
- An email from the Office the Accessibility containing a link to your request will be sent to your instructor. Your instructor will either approve or deny your request.
- Once approved, the proctored exam will be scheduled by our Proctored Exam Coordinator, Tonia Barron, and an email sent to you regarding the scheduled time of the proctored exam.
- You can view your scheduled time by logging back into the Proctoring System.
- Your instructor will deliver the exam to our office in advance. It is always helpful to remind your instructor that you will have your exam proctored by our office.
- Your exam will be secured until time of the exam.
- Depending on the instructions provided by your professor, the exam will be delivered to your professor or picked up in our office by the professor or designated person.
- If you miss your scheduled exam, your exam will be delivered back to your professor. You should speak with your professor about your missed exam.
While every attempt will be made to schedule proctored exams or finals during the regularly scheduled class exam/final period, proctored exams or finals may not coincide with class exams or finals, depending on your class schedule and available proctors and space.
Deadlines for requesting proctored exams:
- All request must be submitted online five business days or 7 calendar days in advance of the exam date. Business days DO NOT include weekends.
- Finals' request must be submitted by the deadlines posted by the Office of Accessibility and email notices sent from email@example.com.
Finals are typically posted on your syllabus and should be entered at the beginning of the semester.
Late request will be filled if space and proctors are available.