Requesting Interpreting and Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) Services
The Office of Accessibility provides interpreting and CART services for deaf/hard of hearing students registered with the office, as well as for visitors to campus who need the service. Sign language interpreting and CART services are available for all academic classes/meetings and university-related activities. Early notification is very important.
Steps to Request Interpreting or CART Services for the Classroom
- Register with the Office of Accessibility upon acceptance into Auburn University.
- Indicate interpreting or CART services needed when establishing appropriate accommodations.
- Upon registering for classes, please contact the Accommodation Specialist assigned to your college with a list of the classes in which interpreting or CART is needed.
- Report any change in schedule to the Office of Accessibility as soon as changes occur.
- Absences: If a student is absent from a class two (2) consecutive times without notifying the Office of Accessibility, a meeting will be needed with the Accommodation Specialist assigned to the student's college to discuss the situation. The Office of Accessibility understands that it is the right of any student to miss class. However, prior notification is needed so interpreter and CART services/resources are not wasted.
- If a student will be late to a class, they must notify the Office of Accessibility so the interpreter or captionist will not leave as outlined below. In the event prior notification has not been given, the interpreter will wait outside of class: Ten (10) minutes for a 50-minute class. Fifteen (15) minutes for a 1 hour and 15 minute class.Twenty minutes for a 2 hour class.
- Discuss any interpreting problems with the interpreter. If additional assistance is needed to resolve a problem, make an appointment with your Accommodation Specialist.
- Discuss any CART problems with the captionist. If additional assistance is needed to resolve a problem, make an appointment with Clay Yarbrough.
- For academic meetings with advisors, professors, etc., requests for interpreter services need to be made as early as possible, no later than five (5) business days in advance of the meeting.
Students Requesting Interpreting or CART Services for a University-Related Event (concerts, speakers, programs, etc.)
- Email email@example.com with the following information:
- Name, date(s) and time(s) of program/event
- Name/email address/phone number of coordinator for event
- Location of event
- Description of the program/event
- Is the request for interpreting or CART?
Campus Visitors Requesting Interpreting or CART Services for a University-Related Event or On-Campus Meeting
Please contact the Office of Accessibility at 334-844-2096. We will be happy to work with you.