Ways to Provide the Note-Taking Accommodation
- Announce the need for a volunteer note-taker to share notes. Due to confidentiality laws, the student requesting a note-taker has the right not to have his/her name disclosed.
- If no one volunteers to take notes, you may identify a student and ask him/her to participate.
- Contact the Office of Accessibility if several class periods have passed without identifying a note-taker in the course.
- Once a student volunteers to take notes, you should facilitate the process for the exchange of notes.
- If the student receiving the notes is comfortable disclosing his/her identity, you can simply introduce the two students and allow them to make plans for the note exchange.
- If the student with a disability wants to maintain confidentiality, arrangements need to be made so the student’s identity is kept confidential. Notetake, a website allowing for electronic submission of notes, is available to assist. It provides a fast, easy way for all parties to facilitate the accommodation.
How Notetake Online System Works:
- The note taker and student needing the notes are established in Notetake.
- The note taker uploads typed notes to the site.
- The student with the accommodation retrieves them at his/her convenience.
- Multiple students can access the same notes through the system.